Vol. 4 Dec. 2020
Dear CDF Community,
CDF projects are being used and deployed by companies like Dailymotion, Fidelity Investments, Salesforce, SAP, Yahoo! Japan, to name a few. Find out the reality and challenges involved in how Continuous Delivery is resolved at enterprise scale. Learn how they do it in the use cases below.
The newsletter now includes monthly project updates from Jenkins, Jenkins X, Screwdriver, Spinnaker, and Tekton.
This month we also have a new project proposal: Ortelius!
Top cdCon Talk Recaps
Our End-User Council provides the opportunity to have context-rich discussions on how various end-user organizations pursue their modernization efforts in the most effective way. Topics covered include:
Improving developer productivity with automation
Enhancing security in delivery pipelines
Technology modernization in highly regulated industries
Measuring success of efforts
Join the council
The discussions are chaired by John Mark Walker of Capital One and the Council is open to leadership teams from CDF end-user members and guest organizations. Guests may request an invitation by email for the next meeting.
Congratulations to the new Jenkins board members, Gavin Mogan and Marky Jackson, and to the new elected Release Officer, Tim Jacombs! View the election results.
Jenkins 2.264 release: further UI improvements and more
Jenkins X 3 Beta will be released soon! Details here.
Screwdriver local tool added interactive mode capability so that users can debug build steps locally.
Build Metrics added a downtime view graph to give data on how long a build pipeline has been down.
Spinnaker Summit and the Gardening Days were a great success!
Try the Tekton Hub and the Community Catalog
Tekton v0.18.0 “Singapura Yo-Yo” Released with lots of improvements, including: improved Multi-Arch Support and Tekton OCI Bundles landed
The Ortelius project is being proposed as a new CDF project.
Ortelius is a microservice management platform that visualizes ‘logical’ application versions in a microservice architecture. From packaging to deployment, Ortelius maps your microservice configurations with their relationships to the application that use them.
Upcoming Virtual Events
- DeveloperWeek New York | Dec. 9-10, 2020
- Tracy Miranda’s talk: Advancing by Open Source: How to Get to CI/CD
- CloudBees Software Delivery Management (Member Event) | Dec. 10, 2020
- FOSDEM 2021 CI/CD Devroom | Feb. 6-7, 2021
The Pipeline: All things CD & DevOps Podcast
News: Our podcast has over 5,000 downloads. Thank you to our host Jacqueline Salinas and to you for listening!
Listen to our latest podcast episodes:
- Ep. 18: Talking Tekton – Avinash Patel and Adam Roberts
- Ep. 19: A Developer-Friendly Approach to Deploying Faster on Kubernetes: The Ketch Open Source Project – Bruno Andrade
- Ep. 20: Cloud Native CD Pipelines with Tekton – Andrea Frittoli
Ambassador and Member Webinars
Watch the latest webinar episodes on our YouTube Channel:
- Dec 2: A Guide to Event-Driven SRE-Inspired DevOps – Andreas Grabner
- Dec 1: What Happened To Observability In GitOps? – Dan Garfield
- Nov 6: CI/CD as a Product – Garima Bajpai
- Oct 21: Managing Full Application Lifecycle Using GitOps – Viktor Farcic
- Oct: 2 Best Practices in Implementing Container Image Promotion Pipelines – Baruch Sadogursky
- Aug 5: An Intro to CI/CD – Jason Odoom
Diversity at the CDF
We published the Transparency Report for cdCon. There’s a lot of great stuff in the report but there’s one standout stat worth shouting about:
14% of attendees were women or non-binary
Now at first glance, 14% does not seem like something worth celebrating—but it is. With cdCon we also made a deliberate effort and were thrilled to have 38% of speakers and 58% of keynote speakers be women or non-binary.
Read the ED Weekly by Tracy Miranda for more information and the full Transparency Report.